Date:      Mon, 12 Jan 2004 12:42:59 -0800
From:      Johnson David <DavidJohnson@Siemens.com>
To:        freebsd@celestial.com, freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BSD Unix vs. Linux

On Monday 12 January 2004 12:21 pm, Bill Campbell wrote:

> It takes me about ten minutes to do a SuSE 9.0 network or DVD install
> here, where most of the time is in disk partitioning, selecting
> software packages, and doing the final hardware configuration (e.g.
> graphics, printers, scanner, etc.).  We normally do NFS network
> installs since it requires no intervention between package selection
> and the final hardware configuration.

FreeBSD is similar, despite the lack of GUI. It usually takes me about
twenty minutes, but that's subjective, and I've never timed it. NFS and
FTP installs are available.

> The only business I know around here that may run Solaris on the
> desktop is Boeing, and they're hardly in the SMB category.  The last
> time I installed Solaris on anything was on a Sparc IPX about seven
> years ago.

How do you think CDE became universally despised without a large amount
of exposure to it? :-)

Until we got bought ought by Siemens (a Microsoft-only corporation), we
were a Solaris shop. Windows was used, but it was in the business unit,
where the use of MSOffice was a near requirement. Elsewhere it was
Solaris all the way, even on the desktop.

I've met several other people who have Solaris on the desktop at their
work as well. It's definitely not a small-business desktop, as the
hardware and support isn't cheap. But a lot of large companies rely on
it.

David