Date:      Wed, 28 Feb 1996 17:46:54 -0700
From:      Sean Kelly <kelly@fsl.noaa.gov>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, hasty@rah.star-gate.com, jehamby@lightside.com, root@dihelix.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Quake's out, where's that Linux ELF emulation?

    >> The situation is not aided by the fact that the BSD camp
    >> emulates the Linux ABI sufficiently well that companies are of
    >> the opinion that they can save themselves a porting effort.

    Jordan> That depends on whether or not you view the UNIX market as
    Jordan> one capable of sustaining native versions of all the major
    Jordan> players anymore.  No good winning a battle if it costs you
    Jordan> the war.

Quite right.  That's always been the Great False Promise of Unix.
About the only thing you have in common amongst all the versions is
that `ls' is the file/directory listing commmand, and it may display
in multiple columns or in a single column depending as much on vendor
as environment and invocation.  Porting efforts are sincere efforts,
indeed!

I like the sound of ``FreeBSD: a better Linux than Linux.''

I'd place the focus on making any i386 executable just run directly.
An installed, out-of-the-box system ought to run installed,
out-of-the-box ibcs2, SCO, Linux, DOS, Windows, what-have-you
executables.  No setup.  No additional library.  No muss.  No fuss.

Of course, I live most of the time in my dreams, too.

--
Sean Kelly
NOAA Forecast Systems Laboratory    kelly@fsl.noaa.gov