Date:      Thu, 23 Jul 1998 09:07:36 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Stan Brown <stanb@awod.com>, Free BSD Multimedia List <freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Recomended place to by TV card

 |	Cany anyone recomend a good place to mail order the hapanauge (sp)
 |	card? I am ready to put one in my FreeeBSD machine, and play.

I bought mine at a local store so I can't recommend based on a first-hand
mail-order TV card buy.

However, based on past experience with other products, I would recommend
checking NECX (www.necx.com) and CDW (www.cdw.com).  You may find
www.sysopt.com/vendsurv.html useful as well.

 |	A couple more questiosn while I have your attention. Do I need any
 |	other hardware (other than a normal color graphcs card)? Can I do this
 |	with 2.2-STABLE?

A motherboard with a solid PCI 2.1 support (Required).  (ASUS for example)

And for best results with direct video, a video card with fast memory
(e.g. VRAM) and RAMDAC, and one which will run at least 16bpp in the
resolution you prefer to run in.  This isn't required however as you can
have your TV apps send images through the X server instead (slower with
more CPU and general system load) regardless of what type of video card you
have.

I like your sig BTW. :-)

Randall