Date:      Sun, 21 Jan 1996 20:57:31 -0500
From:      "Mike Marr" <marrm@rpi.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Installation problems.

	I'm having some problems with the DOS partition installation of
FreeBSD 2.1.0.  On drive C: I have 1.26g of space and the directory
c:\freebsd
is present.  On D: I have a 100m extended DOS partition and 465m dedicated to
FreeBSD.  I have ftp'd the bin and floppies directories and have put both of
them in the c:\freebsd directory.  From this point I have made the boot
floppy with rawrite.exe and I boot from it.  Then I do all my setup junk and
tell it that the media is DOS.  It makes the new file systems and then gives
me the error "Cannot find root distribution."  The file root.flp is in the
floppies directory.

I have also tried a floppy installation and get past the root problem.  But
then I have the problem of it not finding the binaries on the floppy.  I have
5 of them at a time on a floppy like suggested and they are in the root.

Can you give me some tips on what may be going wrong?

Michael K. Marr

PS: I cannot install from my CD-ROM because it hooks up through my parallel
port.  I did buy the CD from Walnut Creek for version 2.0.5.