Date:      Thu, 23 Apr 1998 17:50:02 +0100
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        Blaine Minazzi <bminazzi@w3page.com>
Cc:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Whats this??

Blaine Minazzi wrote:

> Maybe I am paranoid, but, I have been getting a LOT of these types of
> messages in my mail log of late.  I have firewalled the biggest
> offender, who has made over 700 of these connects in the last day.  I
> found my system loaded, and LOTS of sendmail prcessess running when I
> came in this morning.  A tail -f of the maillog revealed all these
> NOQUEUE Null connections being made every few seconds.
>
> Could someone please shed some light on what is ( or might ) be going on
> here?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Blaine
>
> Apr 23 04:40:55 xenu sendmail[9960]: NOQUEUE: Null connection from
> www.abramstech.com [206.113.130.33]

This means they attached to your SMTP port, and quit before saying 'HELO' or
telling it to do anything...

> Apr 23 09:16:21 xenu sendmail[615]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(root): Cannot open
> hash database /etc/mail/popauth.db: Inappropriate file type or format

This might be worrying... It depends on your sendmail config, although if
it's 'suddenly' appeared, it's your system - and you don't know what it is -
then it might mean problems... Someone else may be able to shed more light
on this one...

If you find yourself open to sendmail abuse - have a look around
www.sendmail.org - they have patches etc. for Sendmail which can stop your
system from being used as a RELAY for other peoples mail (which is what it
sounds like is happening to you!) - and for creating lists of known
'offenders' to blcok from Sendmail access etc.

You should also check your running a recent version of sendmail, 8.8.6 is
probably as old as I'd like to be running at the moment... ;-)

Regards,

Karl Pielorz