Date:      Sat, 24 Jan 2009 15:26:35 -0500 (EST)
From:      Stuart Barkley <stuartb@4gh.net>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   missing apps in x11/xorg-apps update to 7.4

The recent update to x11/xorg-apps has dropped a number of important
apps from the dependency list.

In particular why have the following been dropped: xdm, xconsole,
xload, xlsfonts, xmag.  I see several other of the historic base x11
apps are now no longer depended upon by x11-apps (xeyes was fun to
assume was everywhere).

There was one commit which added a apps few back.  This was "Discussed
on: #bsdports" which I assume is some irc channel somewhere.  The
FreeBSD web pages say there are no official irc channels.  It
should have been discussed here for more complete discussion and
historic record keeping.

It looks like x.org themselves have dropped a number of historic
applications from their 7.4 release.  I assume this is why FreeBSD
also dropped those packages.  They also gloss over these removals in
their documentation.

With X11 being a fairly critical component for a number of FreeBSD
users, there should probably have been a HEADSUP sent to a couple of
mailing lists before the upgrade to 7.4.

There should also be a cleared entry in UPDATING similar to the
20070913 entry for xorg 7.3.

I'm glad to see us keeping up to date with the X.org releases.  The
6.9 to 7.2 update was long and hard in coming.

Stuart
--
I've never been lost; I was once bewildered for three days, but never lost!
                                        --  Daniel Boone