Date:      Fri, 22 May 1998 00:49:27 +0200
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMP, Intel PR440FX, cpu monitoring, etc

On Thu, May 21, 1998 at 01:50:36PM -0400, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
> I just ordered a second one of these $800 boxes yesterday, and I think
> they still have a thousand left in stock (that's with just the single
> PPro, of course, for SMP you'd have to buy another processor).  I
> imagine it is to my advantage to have many many of these sold to
> freebsd folks, as it will increase the number of people interested
> in freebsd support for them  :-)

They'll be flying out, I'm certain.  We're going to order some, at
least :-)

> But I really was interested in whether there's anything I need to
> watch out for when buying the second processor, in case I want to try
> for SMP in the fall, and whether there's a way to read the temperature
> sensors inside the box while freebsd is running.  If not, would it be
> hard to add that, and where would I start looking for details on how
> those sensors work from a programming standpoint?  (hmm, maybe intel's
> web site would have something...).

I believe support for this is part of the watchdog and distributed
lock manager code I've been handed from Simon Shapiro.  I've not yet
had time to fix it up for committing - there were some things that
didn't pass the Bruce-filter (and I have to learn more about how the
spl mechanisms work before I can fix them).

Eivind.