Date:      Wed, 3 Sep 2008 13:50:06 -0700
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
To:        Achilleas Mantzios <achill@matrix.gatewaynet.com>
Cc:        Lev Serebryakov <lev@freebsd.org>, freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OpenJDK BSD Port project: why FreeBSD Java Fondation is not metioned?

On Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 06:16:04PM +0300, Achilleas Mantzios wrote:
> ???????? Wednesday 03 September 2008 15:05:49 ??/?? Lev Serebryakov ????????????:
> >
> >    BSD Port of OpenJDK is announced by Sun, by Sun empolyees:
> >
> >    http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/announce/2008-August/000058.html
> > http://openjdk.java.net/projects/bsd-port
> > http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/porters-dev/2008-August/000191.html
> >
> >    But this announces doesn't mention FreeBSD Java port, FreeBSD Java
> > Team and Foundation at all.
> >
> >    Is this project coordinated with FreeBSD Java team? Is FreeBSD Java
> > Team interested in it?
> >

> Moreover it is still unclear which java people will mostly run in the future
> and who is going to be porting it.

Thats hard to say.  Prior to the release of Java 7 the plan is to have two
things done:

1. Have the BSD port integrated into the main OpenJDK trunk.
2. Have all of the "binary plug" issues resolved so they aren't needed.

If those two happen I would expect that FreeBSD users would generally run
OpenJDK 7.

> a matrix of some kind i think it would be a good idea,
> and some kind of cooperation between SUN and the FreeBSD foundation
> which was the main body (alongside with Greg) behind any BSD java effort todate,
> would be good as well.

The FreeBSD Foundation has signed the Sub Contributor Agreement and
graciously allowed any work done for them under contract to be merged
into OpenJDK.