Date:      Wed, 06 May 1998 15:19:26 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>, Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>, stefan@promo.de (Stefan Bethke), luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ISA-PnP w\o BIOS support?

> > The device driver can tell the upper layer which resources it wants or
> > does not need.
>
> The device driver needs a hint from the user to know whether or not it
> wants a resource or not.

Sure.  Stick a sysctl variable in there.  I have commandline sysctl
setting working from userconfig, and I'm about half done with the
visual version.

> For example, some PCIC controllers don't correctly interrupt when cards
> are removed/inserted.  In this case, we still assign an IRQ to the
> controller, although all we're doing is wasting an interrupt.  Instead
> of assigning an interrupt, we should simply 'poll' the controller for
> events, which doesn't work as well *but* still allows the hardware to
> work.
>
> However, the FreeBSD kernel can't determine if the controller is
> working, so we need a way for the controller probe to be given 'hints'
> as to whether or not to use an IRQ, and if so a good one to try.  The
> latter is needed because some 'internal' hardware is hidden from the
> kernel, so if I use the first free interrupt it *may* not be correct for
> this configuration, so I must tell it which interrupt to use if I want
> to be safe.

The principal issue with using the PnP BIOS is that all of a sudden,
the "hidden" hardware is revealed.  This makes it impossible to assign
a resource that is already allocated.

> In other words, the device driver does *NOT* have enough information to
> do it's job, hence the current model is incomplete.

The current current model, yes.  The proposed model, no.