Date:      Wed, 15 Mar 2000 13:29:37 -0600
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net>
To:        Donn Miller <dmmiller@cvzoom.net>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gcc -Os optimisation broken (RELENG_4)

At 12:48 PM 3/15/00 -0500, Donn Miller wrote:

>I've noticed various compile-time optimization bugs as well.  For
>example, I tried building Qt with -mpentium -O3 -pipe, and somewhere
>during the build, I get "Internal compiler error."  Falling back to
>the stock optimization levels of -O2 fixed this.

Ports are working with -02 -pipe -march=pentiumpro here, but there has been
a problem with buildworld.  Fatal compiler errors, sometimes a system
seizure, panic, or spontaneous reboot.  No problem building the kernel with
those flags, last night tried using just -O -pipe for buildworld and seized.

Fresh source install of RC3 and cvsup to RELENG_4 building now.  One more
try before trying with 4.0R.

Was thinking an elusive hardware problem, which is not entirely ruled out,
but maybe there is an issue with the compiler.

Also seem to have worse problems with softupdates enabled on either the src
or /usr/obj directory, but /usr doesn't seem to matter.  Not related most
likely, but am beginning to wonder about many things.  Sanity included. 8-/

Jeff Mountin - jeff@mountin.net
Systems/Network Administrator
FreeBSD - the power to serve