Date:      Thu, 3 Dec 1998 09:34:49 +0100 (CET)
From:      Søren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        jkh@zippy.cdrom.com, sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu, bford@uop.cs.uop.edu, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: panic: ffs_blkfree: bad size

It seems David Greenman wrote:
> >> sysctl -w vfs.ffs.doreallocblks=0
> >>
> >> Is the correct response.
> >
> >Why isn't this currently the default if it's as pathological as you
> >say?  Has anyone actually asked David this question?  It would be
> >only courteous given that he's the author of this bug/feature.
>
>    The feature is fairly important. Steve and one or two other people are
> the only ones seeing the problem after Kirk's fix was committed. Steve is
> the only person to report filesystem corruption caused by it. I'm not able
> to reproduce the panic, despite doing more than 20 "make world"s in an
> attempt to reproduce it. If we disable it by default then it will never get
> fixed because there will be no feedback from people who are still having
> problems with it. I WILL disable it prior to the 3.0.1 release if it isn't
> fixed by then, however. Meanwhile I'll look at adding something that will
> ensure that filesystem corruption isn't possible - I think this will amount
> to detecting the problem and panicing earlier.

I dont know If I'm one of the two, but it f*ks up here too, on ALL my
machines, except on my notebook which uses softupdates.
As has been stated before it has nothing to do with the machine being
loaded, on the contrary, here it dies when the machine is idle and
mail arrives or some such.
I recommend that it should be disabled NOW, instead of hosing our users,
its not "important" when it doesn't work...