Date:      Sun, 24 Sep 2000 18:16:00 +0100
From:      Timo Geusch <freebsd@unix-consult.com>
To:        Hellmuth Michaelis <hm@hcs.de>
Cc:        Timo Geusch <freebsd@unix-consult.com>, freebsd-isdn@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Are there any known issues with SMP, 4.1-stable and i4b?

On Sun, Sep 24, 2000 at 06:20:20PM +0200, Hellmuth Michaelis wrote:
> From the keyboard of Timo Geusch:
>
> > Specifically when using an AVM Fritz! PCI card? Since I put the card into the
> > system and enabled i4b I am seeing random crashes.
>
> Isdn4bsd was never tested on an SMP system - AFAIK. I can't imagine it will
> run flawlessly - from my limited understanding of the SMP issues and without
> having special i4b code locations in mind - on an SMP system.

On closer inspection I am not sure that it really is an SMP issue. Actually
it went bang with a non-SMP kernel on the same system. Unfortunately the SMP
system is the only one I have to run i4b on so it looks like I am in for
some digging. By now I have a crash dump with back trace - I will send it
in a separate email to the list.

> Noone doing regular i4b development has access to an SMP system.

Well, I have an SMP system and an ISDN line. I'm also a half-decent developer.
If someone can give me some info where to start on i4b then I could try to
help out.

> Before you start digging into the source, i'm about to commit 0.95 to
> -current asap.

Unfortunately the system in question is running -stable and with the
well-documented instability on -current thanks to SMPng I can't update it at
the moment. If 0.95 applies cleanly to a current -stable I will try and see if
I can still reproduce the problem.

Timo