Date:      Mon, 29 Mar 2004 13:34:45 +0000
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: fchroot(2) and others.

On Sat, Mar 27, 2004 at 09:36:20PM +0100, Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:
> int flink(int fd, const char *link);

I'll just note that I have regularly really missed this.  It would let
me do atomic operations, only providing a file when it is complete,
keeping the file system clean until then.

I think we should check for the present process being the owner of the
inode before allowing the flink().

Ideally, for my purposes, I'd also have an mktmpfd(), which would work
like mkstemp but never create the actual file link.  The only reason
I've not implemented these calls already is that I assumed there was
some security reason they were not there, but I can't really see any.

Eivind.