Date:      Sat, 12 Jul 1997 00:38:31 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        rminnich@Sarnoff.COM (Ron G. Minnich)
Cc:        deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I2O only available under NDA?

Ron G. Minnich stands accused of saying:
> I think a reasonable response to this NDA nonsense, if true, is to have
> as many people as possible indicate to the I2O sig that their position IS
> nonsense. Just remind them of what happened to MCA when IBM tried the
> same deal. That's what I'm doing.

It is true.  Their line is "it's our idea, and so we think that not
only should we control who knows about it, we should control
_what_they_do_with_it_."

To be honest, I think that what can be seen of their architecture
_sucks_.  It offers little or no parallelism, and for all that the
'960 is reasonably quick and VxWorks a fairly nice RTOS, it simply
doesn't cut the mustard.  Then again, you're probably in more of a
position to know about this stuff than I am 8)

> Ron Minnich                |Java: an operating-system-independent,
> rminnich@sarnoff.com       |architecture-independent programming language
> (609)-734-3120             |for Windows/95 and Windows/NT on the Pentium

*ouch*