Date:      Mon, 5 Feb 2001 09:50:35 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        "Michael C . Wu" <keichii@iteration.net>
Cc:        Mitch Collinsworth <mitch@ccmr.cornell.edu>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Extremely large (70TB) File system/server planning

:| > The files are accessed approximately 3 or 4 times a day on average.
:| > Older files are archived for reference purpose and may never
:| > be accessed after a week.
:|
:| Ok, this is a start.  Now is the 70 TB the size of the active files?
:| Or does that also include the older archived files that may never be
:| accessed again?
:70TB is the size of the sum of all files, access or no access.
:(They still want to maintain accessibility even though the chances are slim.)
:--
:+------------------------------------------------------------------+
:| keichii@peorth.iteration.net         | keichii@bsdconspiracy.net |
:| http://peorth.iteration.net/~keichii | Yes, BSD is a conspiracy. |
:+------------------------------------------------------------------+

    This doesn't sound like something you can just throw together with
    off-the-shelf PCs and still have something reliable to show for it.
    You need a big honking RAID system - maybe a NetApp, maybe something
    else.  You have to look at the filesystem and file size limitations
    of the unit and the client(s).

    FreeBSD can only support 1 TB sized filesystems.  Our device layer
    converts everything to DEV_BSIZE'd (512) blocks, so to be safe:
    2^31 x 512 bytes = 1 TB on Intel boxes.  Our NFS implementation has the
    same per-filesystem limitation.  Theoretically UFS/FFS are limited
    to 2^31 x blocksize, where blocksize can be larger (e.g. 16384 bytes,
    65536 bytes), but I have grave doubts that that actually works.. I'm
    fairly certain that we still convert things to 512 byte block numbers
    at the device level, and we only use a 32 bit int to store the
    block number.

    So FreeBSD could be used as an NFS client, but probably not a server
    for your application.  Considering the number of disks you need to
    manage, something like a NetApp or other completely self contained
    RAID-5-capable system for handling the disks is mandatory.

						-Matt