Date:      Mon, 19 Aug 2002 22:40:45 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Kirk Strauser <kirk@strauser.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Use spamass-milter only on local delivery?

On Mon, Aug 19, 2002 at 03:27:19PM -0500, Kirk Strauser wrote:
> I've installed and configured spamass-milter on my mailserver, and it seems
> to be working exactly as intended.  However, I'm a tertiary MX for a friend
> who is also running SpamAssassin on his primary server.  In general, I'd
> like to only process emails that are bound for local delivery (and *not*
> those that I'm relaying onward).  Is this possible?

I don't think it's particularly feasible to configure sendmail to only
run some messages through the milter: at least, not by an ordinary
mortal.

However, you can modify the /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf file to
allow e-mail to certain destinations to always pass through the
filters: see the entries for

   whitelist_to add@ress.com
   more_spam_to add@ress.com
   all_spam_to add@ress.com

in Mail::SpamAssassin::Conf(3)

The other alternative is to forgo spamass-milter and instead use
procmail(1) to feed all your messages into spamd(1) on delivery. Setup
is easy for individual users if they use ~/.procmailrc, but you'll
have to craft some sendmail rules to pass everything through procmail
if you're admining a large enough site that you can't deal with
individuals.  These pages have some more detail:

    http://www.spamassassin.org/sitewide.html
    http://www.impsec.org/email-tools/procmail-on-gateway.txt
    http://www.gsp.com/cgi-bin/man.cgi?section=5&topic=filtering

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way
Tel: +44 1628 476614                                  Marlow
Fax: +44 0870 0522645                                 Bucks., SL7 1TH UK