Date:      Wed, 18 May 2016 22:19:06 -0700
From:      "K. Macy" <kmacy@freebsd.org>
To:        Randy Westlund <rwestlun@gmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: What changes are welcome?

On Wed, May 18, 2016 at 9:11 PM, Randy Westlund <rwestlun@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd like to start contributing to the base system, but I need
> clarification on what sort of changes would be welcome.
>
> I thought I'd start on simple compiler warnings.  The top code in
> /contrib/top, for example uses K&R-style function definitions and
> implicit return types that spews -Wimplicit-int and -Wreturn-type
> warnings.
>
> While I'm silencing those, is it appropriate for me to make the file
> follow style(9)?
>
> Once I have a diff, should I just upload it to bugzilla, or is it
> preferable to put it on phabricator and then link to it from bugzilla?

Phabricator is the place to put any patches you want reviewed.

Just as important to understand as the technical is the social aspect.
FreeBSD does not have a 6c equivalent to the Linux Foundation or large
companies like Redhat where individuals are paid full-time to
facilitate the import of contributions. You need to go out of your way
to cultivate a rapport with one or more committers so that one of them
will take time out of his day to commit your changes and potentially
cope with any fallout. I contributed some changes a day or two ago and
I broke the kernel build in a couple of arches :(. You're going to
find that without such a rapport in place your patches are likely to
be ignored or, if they're substantial, worse yet actually argued
against.

And if at first you're ignored, don't take it personally. FreeBSD is a
collection of individuals, each with his or her own hot buttons and
interests.

-M