Date:      Mon, 19 Aug 2002 11:21:01 +1000
From:      Gregory Bond <gnb@itga.com.au>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   wi(4), hostap mode and WEP

I have a DLINK 520 PCI card on a FreeBSD server (running 4.6-stable from around
20 July) and a DLink 650 PCMCIA card in a WinMe laptop.

I can get these systems to communicate in Ad-Hoc mode with and without WEP,
and in hostap mode on the FreeBSD end without WEP, but I cannot seem to get the
combo of hostap and WEP working.  Whenever I set an encryption key, the laptop
cannot associate, but as soon as I disable WEP on both ends, the laptop finds
an association almost immediately.  I'm using hex keys at both ends, and even
using silly but unambiguous keys like "0x1111...." I can't get this to work
with hostap.  I've also tried with 64 and 128 bit WEP keys.

Nor can I change wi0 from hostap to adhoc mode - "ifconfig wi0 adhoc" returns
ENODEV: "ifconfig: SIOCSIFMEDIA: Device not configured".  Going from adhoc to
hostap mode works fine.  This may or may not be related.

Has anyone else got this working?  Is it expected to work (the man page seems
to suggest it should) or is WEP and hostap not supported?

(Yes, I know WEP is not very secure, but my main hope is to stop random people
leeching my cable link!)

wi0: <Intersil Prism2.5> mem 0xfbfe0000-0xfbfe0fff irq 11 at device 12.0 on pci0
wi0: 802.11 address: 00:05:5d:5b:c4:c8
wi0: using RF:PRISM2.5 MAC:ISL3874A(Mini-PCI)
wi0: Intersil Firmware: Primary 1.00.05, Station 1.03.04