Date:      Tue, 10 Jun 2003 11:27:07 -0700
From:      "Luoqi Chen" <lchen@briontech.com>
To:        "Scott Long" <scottl@freebsd.org>
Cc:        scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: 64-bit raid controller recommendation

> Luoqi Chen wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm setting up a Supermicro 7043P-8R box with 8G of memory and
> > I've just found out that the Adaptec 2010S ZCR card didn't support
> > 64-bit addressing (being i2o based). So I'm looking for a card
> > that could directly (no bouncing) address at least 8G physical
> > memory, does anyone have any recommendation?
> >

> It's hard to tell from the asr driver where the 32-bit limitation
> comes from and/or if there is a way to fix it.  To directly answer
> your question, the Adaptec aac cards and driver support 64-bit
> addressing with no bouncing.  This includes the 5400, 2120, and 2200
> cards.
>
> Scott

The 32-bit limitation seems to come from the i2o architecture. I've
checked with the linux driver, there's no 64-bit support either. The
telltale sign is in the marketing literature it is NOT mentioned as
IA-64 ready.

The Adaptec 2200 sounds like a good fit for my need. How complete is
the 64-bit support? Do you have any plan to back port it to -stable?
(In)Stability makes me reluctant to install 5.x in a production system.
I'm willing to do the back-porting if you don't have time. I've already
done quite a few back-porting to be able to use 8G of memory.

Thanks
-lq