Date:      Wed, 10 May 2000 18:59:23 +1000 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
Cc:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG, David O'Brien <obrien@NUXI.com>
Subject:   Re: .s -> .S filename change in /sys

On Tue, 9 May 2000, Peter Wemm wrote:

> John Baldwin wrote:
> >
> > On 09-May-00 Peter Wemm wrote:
> > > Repo copying all these .s files to .S will add about 1.7MB to the repo.
> >
> > Not all need to be copied.  Nothing in /sys/boot/i386 uses the C pre-processo
>     r,
> > for example, but point taken.

This is arguably another bug in the new boot sources (they use m4) :-).

> If you note the list above, I was looking in all of src.  62 of those
> files are in src/sys, the other ~30 are in src/contrib and src/crypto
> which (by definition) do not move. Sorry about that.

This is because we renamed .S to .s everywhere except in
sys/i386/{i386/isa} long ago (e.g., in 1993 before FreeBSD-1.0-alpha for
sys/i386/boot/boot2.s).  Unfortunately, contrib doesn't follow our
rules, and there are more than twice as many .s files in /sys as when
we last talked about renaming them.

> The actual src/sys *.s files are 1.4MB in total.  Leaving out sys/boot
> as well leaves 1.2MB.  (40 *.s in the kernel proper).

I count only 500K for *.s.  1.4MB is for *.s,v.

Bruce