Date:      Fri, 30 May 1997 21:50:31 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        "Jin Guojun[ITG]" <jin@george.lbl.gov>
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMP (3.0-970527-SNAP) on dual pentium machines

On Fri, 30 May 1997, Jin Guojun[ITG] wrote:

> Does any one have tested some dual pentium motherboards?
>
> I have two different dual pentium motherboards:
> 	1)	ASUS P/I-P65UP5 with C-P55T2D
> 	2)	TYAN S1563D
>
> neither of them really gets worked for SMP. Here is the testing result by
> using pthread library -lc_r:
[results elided]

> We can see that Solaris does make SMP work, but FreeBSD 3.0-SNAP does not.
> Does this fail at pthread library (-lc_r)?  I have not use fork() for a while.
> I will test it sometimes later.
>
> I saw some message early that said SMP works. Would some one please tell me
> how was the SMP tested (fork() or pthread)?

Several things with this post are strange, maybe wrong?  First, the
pthread lib on FreeBSD is NOT kernel threads, which Sun does have, so the
test is not valid to begin with.  Second, you don't mention if you were
using an SMP kernel, with SMP turned on.  If you were, and you were
running more than one process, you _would_ have noticed a difference, but
not in the one-process test you show.

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |