Date:      Tue, 9 May 2000 14:48:59 -0400
From:      Chip Marshall <chip@setzer.chocobo.cx>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Packet priority

I've been asked by my boss to look into some ways of keeping our
newsfeed from filling our outgoing T1 lines. At the moment we are just
using the ipfw dummynet stuff to limit the bandwidth of the newsfeeds
to less than that of the T1 lines, but that is not ideal.

What I'm looking to do is some sort of prioritizing of packets for
delivery on our FreeBSD routers. What I kindof have in mind is a
system that would give non-news traffic a higher priority than news
traffic, so that news is the first thing to have it's bandwidth cut.

Am I making any sense here? Is there any way to do this in FreeBSD?

--
Chip Marshall <chip@chocobo.cx> http://www.chocobo.cx/chip/ Finger for PGP
GCM/CS d+(-) s+:++ a18>? C++ UB++++$ P+++$ L- E--- W++ N+@ o K- w O M+ V--