Date:      Wed, 16 Sep 2009 15:18:03 -0400
From:      Tom Worster <fsb@thefsb.org>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, Chris Cowart <ccowart@rescomp.berkeley.edu>
Subject:   Re: passing options thru '/etc/rc.d/foo start'

On 9/16/09 2:37 PM, "Mel Flynn"
<mel.flynn+fbsd.questions@mailing.thruhere.net> wrote:

> On Wednesday 16 September 2009 20:21:40 Chris Cowart wrote:
>> Tom Worster wrote:
>>> thanks, Mel, that's good to know.
>>>
>>> i think your suggestion of modifying rc.conf will turn out to be a tidy
>>> solution for me.
>>
>> You could also just put:
>>
>> sshd_flags="-o X11Forwarding=no"
>>
>> into your /etc/rc.conf file.
>
> What he wants is passing arguments without touching config files, which I find
> myself needing sometimes as well, on machines where static partitions are
> mounted read-only + kern.secure_level.

that's right.

when i read in 11.7 of the handbook: "Since the rc.d system is primarily
intended to start/stop services at system startup/shutdown time, ..." i
thought: maybe i'm making things hard by trying to use rc.d scripts when i
could just execute the daemon's binary.

an advantage i imagined of using rc.d is it starts the service with the same
config as at boot so i don't have to remember any config items that might
not be in the daemons config files. maybe all config _should_ be in the
daemon's config files but then i _might_ have been both lazy and forgetful.