Date:      Tue, 18 Apr 2023 23:43:06 +0200
From:      Souji Thenria <mail@souji-thenria.net>
Cc:        markmoellering@psyberation.com
Subject:   Re: serial from usb port, cu using /dev/cuau0

On 4/18/23 21:11, Gary Aitken wrote:
> At least *some* of the time I was doing the cu command before plugging
> in the cable; since cuau0 was the only one visible at that time, that's
> the only one I could use and what I tried to connect to.  So I got a
> connection, but not to the cuaU0 created after plugging the cable in.

That is to be expected because if you connect to '/dev/cuau0', you
connect to the built-in serial port. However, you want to connect to
your modem via the USB-serial adapter, which is, in your case,
'/dev/cuaU0' (after plugging the device into your PC).

There is no logic which decides which serial device will be used,
'/dev/cuau0' and '/dev/cuaU0' are two different devices, and you need to
connect to the one you want to use.

For example, connecting another USB-serial adapter will generate a third
device, '/dev/cuaU1'.

You can also find a description of the naming in the docs:
https://docs.freebsd.org/en/books/handbook/serialcomms/

--
Souji Thenria