Date:      Mon, 10 Aug 2020 17:45:03 +0200
From:      Michael Gmelin <freebsd@grem.de>
To:        Steve Wills <swills@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Lars Engels <lars.engels@0x20.net>, "ports@FreeBSD.org" <ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [HEADS UP] Planned deprecation of portsnap

> On 10. Aug 2020, at 16:22, Steve Wills <swills@freebsd.org> wrote:
>=20
> =EF=BB=BFHi,
>=20
>> On 8/10/20 9:28 AM, Lars Engels wrote:
>> On Tue, Aug 04, 2020 at 02:43:20PM -0400, Steve Wills wrote:
>> I'm probably fine with this and I think that all of the (now) supported
>> methods have pros and cons.
>> To leverage the UX flaws of git and svn(lite) compared to portsnap
>> having a wrapper script around the two tools would be very appreciated.
>> Something like
>> # portsnap-ng --mode git --branch 2020Q2 --destination /ports/2020Q2 fetc=
h extract
>>   The package devel/git does not seem to be installed, do you want to ins=
tall it? (Y/n) _
>> With sane defaults, so you can just run portsnap fetch extract like
>> you're used to and this
>> downloads the latest ports tree to /usr/ports using base svnlite(1).
>> While we're here: Can we please have a separate user that is used to
>> checkout the tree?
>> Lars
>> P.S.: Please DO NOT name the wrapper portsnap-ng. :-)
>=20
> I think something like this will likely in many ways perpetuate many of th=
e problems I listed in my original email, particularly with folks being on t=
he wrong branch and not properly generating patches.

There are many users who never create any patches, but simply use the ports t=
ree to install software. Please make sure the ports collection keeps working=
 for them.

Michael