Date:      Sat, 11 Dec 1999 17:22:31 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Gustavo V G C Rios <grios@ddsecurity.com.br>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: reboots

> Hi!
> I am sending this message, in order to get a help from you wizards.
>
> Just after turn power on, i get into FreeBSD boot manager, it is given
> me three choices:
> F1: DOS
> F2: FreeBSD
> F3: Linux
>
> Then, i select FreeBSD (F2)! Now, after BTX delay time to boot i time
> ESC, what brings me into the following prompt:
>
> disk2s2a:>
>
> I issue the reboot command, what cause some register values to be
> printed into the screen, and the message: System Halted.

This is unfortunately common; some BIOS component can't handle the int19
chain being re-entered before it's reset.  This is arguably defective,
but it doesn't help you much.  I'd suggest that you shouldn't use
"reboot".  Does alt-ctrl-del work?

> I choose FreeBSD (F2), and this is what a get:
>
> Fatal Trap 22: FPU device not available while in kernel mode

I think your machine is in a terribly inconsistent state at this point;
you look like you're getting an FPU trap in the kernel.  "Don't do this".
8)