Date:      Sat, 9 Aug 1997 05:53:07 +0200
From:      Peter Korsten <peter@grendel.IAEhv.nl>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ISDN drivers/cards

Wolfgang Helbig shared with us:

> > This is really my main point, bisdn works for some folks and not for
> > other, but is no real reliable base for part of FreeBSD. It's a mess and
> > that could explain why some people have so much luck and other don't.
> > Mostly boiling down to "luck" I expect.
>
> The messy part starts when you try to run ppp over isdn. But straight
> bisdn-097 works fine for a lot of people. I installed it nearly a year ago
> successfully. It was one of the first things I did with FreeBSD, so
> it didn't take much expertise to install.

But as a matter of fact, raw IP over HDLC isn't really used outside
of Germany. At least, it isn't used one country to the west, the
Netherlands. I also notice that people speaking in favour of bisdn
are called 'Wolfgang' and 'Hellmuth', both your average German name.

I need PPP to make my ISDN card of use and though the bisdn code
may be okay (I can neither confirm nor deny that), installing it
is a real pain in the you-know-what and the PPP-hack looks really
yuckie to me.

I would be very happy with ISDN-card support as a LKM and a PPP
daemon that can talk to something else than a serial line. If
I could offer help in this, feel free to mail me.

- Peter