Date:      Tue, 26 Jan 2016 00:35:28 +0000
From:      Chris Hunnewell <csh@temple.edu>
To:        "freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   30.10. Common Address Redundancy Protocol (CARP) doc

I was recently working with this document and having issues getting CARP wo=
rking.  I identified one of the issues as one of my own creation.  I was wo=
rking with these settings on a VMware vSphere and by default this doesn't a=
llow promiscuous mode.  I was wondering if the document should be updated t=
o show this as a requirement of CARP.  The second problem I was having I no=
ted during the boot of the server.  I had the following line in the rc.conf=
 file:

ifconfig_vmx0_alias0=3D"vhid 1 advskew 100 pass redacted alias 155.247.167.=
127/32"

This is close to the example given in the documentation outside of adjustin=
g for my network card and settings.  During the boot I would get the follow=
ing error:

/etc/rc: WARNING: $ifconfig_vmx0_alias0 needs leading "inet" keyword for an=
 IPv4 address.

I changing the line to this:

ifconfig_vmx0_alias0=3D"inet vhid 1 advskew 100 pass redacted alias 155.247=
.167.127/32"

After changing the line I did not note any errors during the boot of the OS=
.  I'm running a fully patched version of 10.2.  I did find this is similar=
 to how a virtual host would be configured in the rc.conf file but find not=
hing about this for CARP.  Does this need to be updated in the document or =
is there some other issue?

Thanks,

Chris Hunnewell
chris.hunnewell@temple.edu<mailto:chris.hunnewell@temple.edu>
Temple University
Computer Services

CONFIDENTIALITY STATEMENT: The information contained in this e-mail, includ=
ing attachments, is the confidential information of, and/or is the property=
 of, Temple University. The information is intended for use solely by the i=
ndividual or entity named in the e-mail. If you are not an intended recipie=
nt or you received this in error, then any review, printing, copying, or di=
stribution of any such information is prohibited. Please notify the sender =
immediately by reply e-mail and then delete this e-mail from your system.