Date:      Thu, 12 Apr 2001 01:35:57 +0200 (CEST)
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Thorbj=F6rn_Axelsson?= <smurf@salmiak.hemmet.chalmers.se>
To:        Kal Torak <kaltorak@quake.com.au>
Cc:        <scott@sawilson.org>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: nVidia Cards /w FreeBSD (3D Acceleration)

On Thu, 12 Apr 2001, Kal Torak wrote:

> Well Im all for it!
>
> Its a lot better than sitting back and saying, oh they wont give
> us the source, they wont give us the technical specs, they are nasty
> people etc, etc, etc. :)

<snip>

FYI, I'm pretty sure that there is some kind of petition you can sign on
some webpage on the internet. I know I signed something. You might want to
look for it (no idea where it is).

I would be very happy about any support for nVidia cards on FreeBSD, as it
is now I run my desktop-machine with Linux to be able to get the full
hardware acceleration (both 2d and 3d works really smooth). Of course I
run FreeBSD on my servers still :)

And the reason that NVidia does not release the full source is that they
have licenced some of the code and they can not legally open source it
since they do not own it.

[disclaimer: I haven't reviewed this to closely]
There shouldn't really be a problem here since
the [linux] kernel-module is opensourced but not the real driver. I
believe that the kernel-module could be rewritten and use linux emulation
provided by FreeBSD for the rest. Maybe :)

/Thorbj=F6rn