Date:      Wed, 3 Jun 1998 17:57:44 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <dyson@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        dfr@nlsystems.com (Doug Rabson)
Cc:        dyson@FreeBSD.ORG, mjacob@feral.com, jb@cimlogic.com.au, jbarbee@singular.com, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: future of slpha port

Doug Rabson said:

> My own port of your i386 pmap appears to be functional and I will probably
> commit that in the few days.  The only advantage which NetBSD/alpha's pmap
> has over mine is the support for Address Space Numbers.  The alpha can tag
> each TLB with an ASN to allow two address spaces to have cached mappings
> for the same virtual address as long as they use different ASNs.  I will
> add ASN support as soon as the dust settles from the initial bootstrap.

You are much farther along than I had thought: excellent!!!  Unfortunately,
I have a few minor pmap interface changes coming up (regarding the
arguments being vm_page_t's instead of physical addresses.)  This shouldn't
be too hard to port to alpha.  I am sorry, I would have done this sooner
if I had known that you made so much progress!!!