Date:      Sun, 20 Jan 2002 14:44:19 +0100
From:      "Rogier R. Mulhuijzen" <drwilco@drwilco.net>
To:        <rob@the-rob.com>, <Net@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: pppoe gateway routing issues

At 04:58 20-1-2002 -0600, rob@the-rob.com wrote:
>First off if this shows up as html, I apologize, I'm temporarily using a
>web based client. This email contains my configuration files so is kind of
>long but I hope this will give as much information as possible.

Think it came out just fine =)

>I just got DSL after riding myself of my cable modem.  The DSL I have is
>using pppoe. I was able to get this up and running on my laptop.  I am now
>working on my gateway machine to get my LAN back up and running.
>
>I have used the how-to's listed in the freebsd diary (
>http://www.freebsddiary.org/pppoe.php ) I also tried
>http://www.daemonnews.org/200101/pppoe.html These worked fine on my laptop
>and I was able to surf the web no problem.   I then went to configure my
>gateway box.  I added the appropriate options to the kernel and
>recompiled.  I added the neccesary "ppp" lines to my rc.conf.  I also
>created my ppp.conf.   When I boot the machine I get the IP addresses but
>when I try to pass any traffic I get "no route to host" messages.  I make
>sure my default gateway is setup correctly (which it appears to be as
>such).  I delete the the default route and add it myself but this does not
>work either.

---SNIP---

>gateway_enable="YES"

good

>hostname="PITA.the-rob.com"
>network_interfaces="xl0 dc0 lo0"
>ifconfig_dc0="inet 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0"
>ifconfig_lo0="inet 127.0.0.1"
>ifconfig_xl0="inet 10.0.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0"

still looking good

>ipfilter_enable="YES"
>ipmon_enable="YES"
>ipmon_flags="-Dsvn"
>ipnat_enable="YES"

Yikes... note you have NAT here.....

>#router_flags="-q"
>#router="routed"
>#router_enable="YES"
>ppp_enable="YES"
>ppp_mode="ddial"
>ppp_profile="tds"
>ppp_nat="YES"

...and here.

----more config snipped----

I'm not familiar with ipfilter I'm afraid, but since the rest of your
config looks good to me at first glance, try removing the ipfilter/mon/nat
settings, try connecting again, and if it works, then add those settings
back one by one.

         DocWilco