Date:      Sat, 22 Jun 1996 19:36:28 +0100
From:      mark@linus.demon.co.uk (Mark Valentine)
To:        sos@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD current)
Subject:   Re: Syscons CUT&PASTE functionality added...

> From: sos@freebsd.org
> Date: Fri 21 Jun, 1996
> Subject: Syscons CUT&PASTE functionality added...

> I'd like to hear how this works out with different mousetypes and
> especially with different display hardware. Please note this works
> only on ega's and above, as the mousepointer is done by reprogramming
> the charset, giving the illusion that a "real" graphic mousepointer
> is used.

Neat feature, though on my system (Logitech serial mouse, S3 801 video
with 2MB DRAM, 486DX2/66 CPU), the charset reprogramming seems to make
cursor motion cause noticeable jerking of the display (causing mild
nausea...).  :-(

Would a plain block cursor (maybe a different colour) be likely to improve
usability on my system?  (I can't think of any DOS stuff I have lying around
which uses this trick, and I don't remember seeing any of this jerkiness
with normal block-cursor DOS stuff.)

		Cheers,

		Mark.

--