Date:      Wed, 26 Apr 2000 09:48:59 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de (Christian Weisgerber)
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SRM questions (mildly off-topic)

Christian Weisgerber writes:

 >   card. Today, I experimentally put in a KNE100TX (DEC 21140A).
 >   Surprise! SRM recognizes this card, too. I do wonder whether it
 >   will put the NIC into 100Mbit/s mode, though. When I booted up

What does it tell you if you do
>>> set ewb0_mode fastfd

I have a KNE100TX in an AS200 & it doesn't work from the SRM console
point of view.  I don't remember if it sees the card or not.  I do
know that it will not put it into 100Mbit/s full-duplex mode & that I
cannot netboot from it.

 >   FreeBSD, de(4) had the card into 10Base-T half-duplex mode although
 >   it was connected to a 100Base-TX full-duplex switch port.

Did you try ifconfig de1 media 100baseTX mediaopt full-duplex ?

BTW, if you're looking for a "high performance" network card for a
low-end alpha, stay away from tulips.  They require that that DMA
addresses be aligned to a 4-byte boundary.  Because of this & because
and ethernet header is 14-bytes, all receives must be copied in the
host so that the packet is naturally aligned after the ethernet header
is stripped off.  This will really kill your performance if you're
running on a system with very poor memory bandwidth like the LCA
series.

3coms should work fairly well...