Date:      Tue, 24 Apr 2007 09:11:05 +0200
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cx2388x driver?

Quoting John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu> (from Mon, 23 =20
Apr 2007 11:11:04 -0700):

> Alexander Leidinger wrote this message on Mon, Apr 23, 2007 at 14:17 +0200=
:
>> Quoting John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu> (from Mon, 23
>> Apr 2007 00:05:56 -0700):
>>
>> >Hello,
>> >
>> >I just found out that the ATI HDTV Wonder card I have is based on the
>> >cx2388x chip.  I was wondering if someone has a driver or started work
>> >on a driver before I do?
>> >
>> >/me hopes to add a third HD capture card.
>>
>> What about committing your current driver to the CVS? And we lack a
>
> I plan to, and was thinking about it over the weekend...  The biggest

While I only have a Satellite dish and can not use it, I'm looking =20
forward to this. My hope is that we gain more people doing work in =20
this area in this way and maybe someone works even on some stuff for a =20
satellite cards at some point in time...

> issue I see is what to do w/ the capture program...  Right now the
> program is only useful for FusionHDTV5 Lite cards (and doesn't yet
> validate that the card we're attempting to talk to is this card), and
> so of limited use...
>
> I guess we need to start somewhere, and once we start getting more
> cards supported, moving to a more generic library and capture program
> will be inevitable...

Yes.

>> driver for satellite receiver cards... anyone with some ideas
>> regarding this?
>>
>> >P.S. Besides MythTV, does anyone have a good backend to control TV
>> >recording?  I've hacked up a web based backend in Python that works
>>
>> You could have a look at http://www.networkmultimedia.org/ and give it
>> a try on FreeBSD. I did see it in action ~4-5 years ago on Linux
>> systems when it was in the middle of the core development (there's
>> still development, but now it's about new features).
>
> It looks interesting, and the core has a decent license (LGPL)...  I'll
> have to play w/ it some...

4 years ago they used ~10 1 GHz CPUs with distcc to compile this. Even =20
with this they did need around 20 hours to compile everything from =20
scratch. I don't know about the compile times they have today. But I =20
think it is worth the time.

Bye,
Alexander.

--=20
(1)=09If it's green or it wiggles, it's biology.
(2)=09If it stinks, it's chemistry.
(3)=09If it doesn't work, it's physics.

http://www.Leidinger.net    Alexander @ Leidinger.net: PGP ID =3D B0063FE7
http://www.FreeBSD.org       netchild @ FreeBSD.org  : PGP ID =3D 72077137