Date:      Thu, 03 Aug 2000 11:18:35 -0400
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        Marty Cawthon <mrc@ChipChat.ne.jp>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Move passwd info from 3.5-S to 4.1-S

At 03:13 PM 8/3/00 +0000, Marty Cawthon wrote:
>I have FreeBSD 3.5-Stable running.
>Am preparing a new hard disk with FreeBSD 4.1-Stable to replace it.
>
>To move the user account information (passwords, User IDs, Initial Group ID)
>I plan to move these files:

Just copy over /etc/groups and /etc/master.passwd, and on the new system,
vipw and then save the file. (or pwd_mkdb)

I will boot the 3.5 system, mount the 4.1 hard drive root at /mnt/oroot
>and "cp /etc/passwd /mnt/oroot/etc/passwd".  With this I hope to avoid
>any peculiar "file locking" of these files once the 4.1 system is running.

Also, make sure that the uids under 100 are sane and that any added on your
4.x machine are still there when you merge your files in.

         ---Mike