Date:      Thu, 2 Jan 1997 10:21:24 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD into larget corp. environment?

There's a certain large (multinational) corporate with some not
inconsiderable ground-level enthusiasm for using FreeBSD in preference
to other less robust, open and harder to maintain/fix operating
systems for internal network and security applications.

However, like most such entities, management feel that because there's
no tangible corporate entity ("somebody to sue if it goes wrong")
behind FreeBSD, they can't possibly trust it.  (Yes, I think they're
stupid too.)

Anyway, bottom line is: is there anyone in Australia currently offering
paid commercial support (like Cygnus in the USA) for FreeBSD, or
planning to in the short-term future?

(I won't do any naming of names just yet, but suffice to say that the
corporate in question is _big_ - they counter the argument "you never
get bugfixes out of Microsoft" with "we do when we lean on them".
Their internal intranet is undergoing explosive growth right now, and
it would be an excellent win for both sides if something could be done
here.)