Date:      Tue, 03 Oct 2000 11:44:28 -0400
From:      media@ct1.nai.net
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Jimmy Thomson <glitch@execpc.com>
Subject:   Re: install from 4.1 CDROM failed

At 5:20 PM -0500 10/02/00, Jimmy Thomson wrote:

>> Thanx!!  I ran Scandisk before, but I did it again, and it still didn't
>> find anything wrong.
>>
>> >Typically a harddrive warranty runs from the date of manufacture which
>> >should be on the drive's paper label, 3 years for IDE and 5 years for
>> >SCSI. Contact the manufacturer and he will give you a number and address
>> >to return it for free warranty replacement.
>>
>> This drive was given to me, so I cannot return it to the manufacturer.
>> Then again, I don't have any evidence that the disk is bad.  Is there any
>> other way to solve the problem??  Can I use the 3.4 installer to create
>
>What type of drive is it?

Thank you for your response.  It's a 3G Western Digital.

>Many manufacturers have utilities to detect problems with their drives.
>There may not be anything wrong with the actual drive platter, it could be
>>something odd like the drive has bad cache in it.
>
>Just because the drive was given to you doesn't mean you can't RMA it.  I
>have found that most drive manufacturers don't even ask for proof of
>purchase.

Before I even consider sending the drive back to the manufacturer, and
losing my Windows system in the meantime, I want to have some evidence that
the drive is at fault.  So far, the disk worked with DOS and FreeBSD 3.4,
and Scandisk cannot find any problems.