Date:      Sun, 20 Jun 1999 09:57:52 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        gummibear@we.mediaone.net
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Concerning Ultra DMA/33 and Chipsets

On Saturday, 19 June 1999 at 16:13:24 -0700, gummibear@we.mediaone.net wrote:

> Greetings!
>
> I've been on the hunt for the perfect motherboard to replace my old P133
> FreeBSD machine which is pretty much on it's last leg.
>
> I've been using an Asus P5A for my girlfriend's Photoshop/HTML machine
> which uses an ALi Alladin V chipset.  The Asus P5A is a great board with
> alot of nice features and utilizes the low cost AMD K6-2 chip, but I heard
> that the ALi chipset isn't supported by FreeBSD as far as Ultra DMA/33 is
> concerned.  I have heard that the VIA chipsets are supported in respect to
> Ultra DMA/33.
>
> First of all, I'd like to know if all the above is correct (that which
> concerns FreeBSD and the mentioned chipsets).

We support:

  Acer Aladdin IV/V (M5229) Bus-master IDE controller

Is this the chipset you have?

> Also, I'd like to know if the SiS chipsets are supported by FreeBSD
> in respect to Ultra DMA/33.

We have:

  SiS 5591 Bus-master IDE Controller

I'm using it, and it works, but some older (> 18 months) revisions of
the chip set have problems.  If you buy a new motherboard, you
shouldn't have any problems.

> Which motherboards would you recommend based on chipset?

I've heard good things of the performance of VIA (Apollo) chipsets.
We support the 82C586x, but I don't know how well.

Greg