Date:      Wed, 21 Feb 2001 14:44:00 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   RE: Dell Inspiron 5000e vs. Chembook 3015A vs. Compal N38W2 (N30

On 21-Feb-01 David Wolfskill wrote:
> This is rather long, and is a query about features, vs. a report of a
> problem or solution to same.  So if this doesn't interest you (at this
> time), you might want to just go on to whatever's next in your queue.

I am running -current on a 5000e and X 4.0.2 will work at 1600x1200 with
no problems.  For 4.0.2 at least, you have to lie to X in XF86Config to
get it to setup the screen properly (set bogus horiz and vert refresh
rates), but I think they just fixed that in the latest X-cvs, and I will
be rebuilding X and testing that in a bit.  I do have the Rage128 with
16MB of RAM, FWIW, and X is running on it at 24bpp.

Other quirks on the 5000e: APM won't work cause the BIOS is busted.
In -current the volume buttons for the sound card will work though, and
the sound will work in both -stable and -current.  Cardbus doesn't work
in current due to a PCI resource allocation bug, but regular old pccard
works ok under both OLDCARD and NEWCARD.  I haven't played with the
touchpad as far as remapping buttons, so I'm not sure if that will be a
problem for you.  If you want to run -current, then you can run ACPI on
the 5000e to get some things like battery status and temperature reporting
(with some patches I hope to commit soon) and also things like the power
button turning the machine off after performing a clean shutdown, etc.