Date:      Sat, 22 Jul 1995 16:41:01 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Network Coordinator <nc@ai.net>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@trout.sri.MT.net>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: MX records and sendmail

You shouldn't add Machine A to Machine B's Cw array. That will make
Machine B think it actually *IS* machine A. What you should tell machine
B to do is try machines directly if it is the most preferred site. [Ow
should have a True in it]. Normally what will happen is say you have

Site A MX 10 Site B

in the DNS entry, what will happen is B will freak out trying to send
back to itself on the MX try. Site B is the best site for A, it should
try A directly. What will happen is the mail will be held in B's queue
until A comes back online.

What might work for you otherwise is:

Site A MX 5 Site A
       MX 10 Site B

so B will try to send the mail to A if it can. Though setting Ow to True
works over here.

Hope it helps,

-Jerry.