Date:      Tue, 18 Mar 2003 00:13:20 -0700
From:      Soren Harward <soren@byu.edu>
To:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AS2100 SMP clock skew -- fixed or not?

On Mon 17 Mar 2003 at 14:30:55, Andrew Gallatin said:
> Search the arhives.  I think there may be a hack you can use in there
> somewhere.

This is what I ended up doing: In alpha_clock_interrupt() in
/usr/src/sys/alpha/alpha/interrupt.c I changed the "#ifdef SMP" lines to
"#ifdef SMP_BROKEN_AS2100" (which of course isn't #define'd).  I
re-compiled and now "sleep 5" actually sleeps for 5 seconds instead of
10.  I haven't put this through really rigorous testing yet (the
machine's been up for all of a half hour now -- I'm going to let it run
overnight without ntpd to see if I still get some minor clock skew).
Ideally, we could look to see if DEC_2100_A500 (this particular machine
type) is defined in the config to see if we need to tweak this setting,
however, GENERIC comes with DEC_2100_A500 #define'd by default, along
with #define's for every other machine, so we'd probably need some other
flag.  Of course, if there's still some clock skew, we'd just need to
fix the bug instead :)

--
Soren Harward
soren@byu.edu