Date:      Wed, 30 Nov 2005 09:55:24 +0100 (CET)
From:      =?iso-8859-2?Q?=C1d=E1m_Szilveszter?= <adamsz@mailpont.hu>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Reflections on Trusting Trust

On Sze, November 30, 2005 12:43 am, Colin Percival mondta:
> Even before you get to that point, you have to worry about making sure
> that the build clients are secure.  One possibility which worries me a
> great deal is that a trojan in the build code for a low-profile port
> (e.g., misc/my-port-which-nobody-else-uses) could allow an attacker to
> gain control of a build client (and then insert trojans into packages
> which are built there).

Which practically begs the question: could we, pretty please, change the
defaults and stop encouraging people from downloading distfiles and
compiling them when using the ports tree as *root*? (shudder) There is
exactly zero reason for this that I can think of apart from some "well
it's more convenient that way" arguments. With the current model of using
ports (and packages too) every single BO or whatever in eg fetch or
libfetch becomes a sure-fire remote root vulnerability, because all
FreeBSD machines use fetch to retrieve stuff from random sites on the
Internet (MASTERSITEs are all over the place) as root. A security
worst-practice. (Well, not all of them... I use a non-priviledged user to
do that, which is now becoming more and more practical, but earlier there
used to be all kinds of nasties in the build processes of certain ports
which you only noticed if you were non-root...)

(Of course, we could go even further and start compartmentalising access
rights because eg a user with port-install rights should have no
permission to touch the base system, in partcular system binaries and the
contents of /etc, but this would also require saying farewell to some
really bizarre things like "openssh from ports overwriting the one in the
base" which would be really a good idea btw.)

Best regards,
Sz.

1 GByte ingyenes e-mail és webtárhely a MailPont-tól!
Miért fizetnél érte, ha nálunk teljesen ingyen van?
Regisztrálj te is magadnak! - www.MailPont.hu -