Date:      Tue, 12 Oct 1999 13:29:09 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Adam Mackler <mackler@dewline.com>
Cc:        zoonie <zoonie@zilch.org>, jesse reynolds <jesse@va.com.au>, OrbitalNet Office <darren@office.orbitalnet.co.uk>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mirroring

On Monday, 11 October 1999 at 20:02:01 -0400, Adam Mackler wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Oct 1999, zoonie wrote:

>>> Zoonie, I think you're talking about file mirroring, but I think
>>> Darren's talking about disk mirroring, ie redundant disks on the one
>>> server.
>>>
>>> Vinum looks good, written by Greg Lehey, author of "the complete
>>> freebsd" (for disk mirroring and other volume management
>>> technologies).
>>>
>>> I think rsync is the way to go for file mirroring.
>>
>> oops, looking at the message again it does say "disk"...as for disk
>> mirroring you are right, vinum would be good.  rsync looks pretty good for
>> file mirroring, i'm busy getting that going right now...
>>
> vinum's not ready for prime time is it?

Sure, as long as you don't use some of the newer features.  We still
have some problems with RAID-5 on *some* systems (not on mine,
unfortunately, so finding the bug is a real pain), and you can still
shoot yourself in the foot if you configure it correctly, but people
have been using it for over a year without problems.  Mirroring is
RAID-1, and that's been working since May 1998.

> is there a way to mirror disks over the network, securely?

Not yet.  It's on the Vinum wish list.

Greg