Date:      Fri, 15 Jun 2001 09:20:26 -0700
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@soco.agilent.com>
To:        Marc Rassbach <marc@milestonerdl.com>
Cc:        Michael VanLoon <MichaelV@EDIFECS.COM>, "'uid0@catastrophe.net'" <uid0@catastrophe.net>, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, Eric Monti <monti@ushost.com>
Subject:   Re: freebsd w/ scsi and ide (fwd)

Marc Rassbach <marc@milestonerdl.com> wrote:

> Yet don't laugh.....
>
> RedHat 7.0 will choke with a SCSI boot and an IDE as a secondary.
>
> So it is not as foolish a question as it seems.

     Yes, as most people noted, FreeBSD with both SCSI and IDE drives
will work fine.  However, there's a gotcha: the FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE
CDROM appears to be unable to upgrade existing systems, at least in some
cases.

     I've got an old P300 with both SCSI and IDE drives.  The system
boots from SCSI (dual aic7880/aic7860, although only the 7880 is used),
and uses the IDE drive as additional storage.  It was running
4.2-RELEASE.  When I tried to upgrade to 4.3-RELEASE using the WindRiver
CDROMs, the upgrade failed because sysinstall appeared to be unable to
locate sh/csh, find, cpio, etc. (the debug window contained lots of
"command not found" errors, and the holographic shell couldn't be
started, presumably because sh/csh couldn't be found).  I ended up
having to blow away my root partition and use the regular "install from
scratch" method (which did work fine).

--
	Darryl Okahata
	darrylo@soco.agilent.com