Date:      Mon, 23 Dec 2002 04:39:41 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jamie Bowden <ragnar@sysabend.org>
To:        Miguel Mendez <flynn@energyhq.homeip.net>
Cc:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>, <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>, <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>, <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD's momentum and future prospects

On Sun, 22 Dec 2002, Miguel Mendez wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Dec 2002 14:01:54 -0500
> Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr> wrote:

> > Regarding the filesystem, well softupdates-enabled ufs is more
> > crash-resistant than linux.  But even there it's not black and white.

> More resistan than Linux what? :)

> I've never heard anything good about reiserfs, played a little bit with
> jfs, but I can tell you that XFS smokes any other filesystem, except,
> perhaps, Veritas filesystem, which is the de facto for large arrays
> on Sun servers. I understand UFS+S is very nice, but if the risk of
> losing data is there anyway, I'll take a 2 sec crash-recovery vs 2 hour
> fsck anyday. The Linux version is still lacking some features that were
> in the original IRIX implemenation, but it's IMHO a very impressive FS.

My day job is running Irix macines, has been for years, and XFS is one of
the nicest filesystems I've ever had to crash recover from.  It's not
perfect, and prior to XFS Rollup 6 on 6.[2|3|4] you could get some
interesting corruption, but overall, it's a damn fine filesystem.  I
haven't played with it on Linux, but I am pretty sure it's incomplete
relative to Irix based on the traffic I've seen over on the comp.sys.sgi.*
newsgroups.  As for Veritas, I believe the story is that SGI lured a few
Veritas engineers to write XFS, only do it better, but that's just rumor.

Jamie Bowden

--
"It was half way to Rivendell when the drugs began to take hold"
Hunter S Tolkien "Fear and Loathing in Barad Dur"