Date:      Wed, 5 Apr 1995 12:48:51 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        davidg@Root.COM
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: swap always use at least 64KB ?

> >no activity going on... Swap partition, when in use, are always
> >reported with at least 64 KB in use.
> >
> >Is there any explaination ?
>
>    The first swap block is always pre-allocated. This was done to work around
> a problem with people putting their swap partition at the beginning of their
> disk (the system would happily try to destroy the label). I suppose it would
> be better to change swapinfo/pstat to not include the first block of swap
> space in its report.

That depends. Seeing "Used" > 0 is a nice reminder that the partition
is in use and you cannot unmount it (whatever it means; I am playing
with vnodes and swap-on-files these days). Also, given the above
explaination, that 64K are really lost swap space, so it is better to
keep it in the statistics. It doesn't hurt, once you know why.

	Luigi
Luigi Rizzo                     Dip. di Ingegneria dell'Informazione
email: luigi@iet.unipi.it       Universita' di Pisa
tel: +39-50-568533              via Diotisalvi 2, 56126 PISA (Italy)
fax: +39-50-568522