Date:      Mon, 24 Aug 1998 19:32:24 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        FreeBSD-chat <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Uptime wigs me out...

You guys can't be serious about leaving a computer on for 400 plus
days!

Don't you people understand the ramifications of such malignant behavior!
You could throw the entire industrial universe into a tailspin with that
kind of reliability.

If I could work on something once and then not have a crisis for a year, I
would be unemployed. There would be revolution. Blood would spill...

Before I started this summer job I was in a high reliability environment
(submarines). I never considered that life was so disorderd in the "rest"
of industry. Of course, submarine type reliability comes at a premium that
few are willing to pay. Unless you consider FreeBSD.

It really slays me when I consider the amount of effort my company expends
trying to get vendors to give us reliable parts. It double slays me that
people are using NT when the evidence proves them to be fools. (I just
read B. Schneier's criticisms of MS PPTP... bwaaahahaha. VPN stands for
Virtual(ly) Private Networks).

Catchya Later,		|	UW Mechanical Engineering
Jason Wells		|	http://weber.u.washington.edu/~jcwells/