Date:      Mon, 6 Aug 2018 07:57:17 -0700
From:      John Kennedy <warlock@phouka.net>
To:        Pete French <petefrench@ingresso.co.uk>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How do I stop using local_unbound ?

On Mon, Aug 06, 2018 at 03:06:00PM +0100, Pete French wrote:
> having enabled local_unbound in /etc/rc.d how do I remove that
> and go back to using just DHCP delivered nameservers ? I
> set it to 'NO' but yet the machine still seems to have traces of
> the config in other places and keeps trying to use them, for reasons I
> dont understand.
>
> Is there a quyick guide to clearing this off a system when you dont want to use
> it anymore ? I get that it needs to be slightly complex to do what it does,
> but its proving very hard to fix the broken DNS looksup!

Hmm.  First, make sure that it isn't running (service local_unbound stop, etc).
Then look at your /etc/resolv.conf -- unbound tends to rewrite that on initial
startup, taking some of it's settings and inserting itself into the middle as a
caching DNS server.  At the very least, you want something like this:

	nameserver 8.8.8.8

I think the default DHCP client stomps all over /etc/resolv.conf fairly well,
but see what options are in there (for example, options for domain-name-servers
and domain-name).  The stock /etc/dhclient.conf is all comments.

I have issues with the DNS results my ISP returns to me, but setting up a cache
or using sites like 8.8.8.8 (google public DNS, if you don't mind feeding the
beast) fixes that.

For something deeper, what is your /etc/host.conf?  Mine is this:

	# Auto-generated from nsswitch.conf
	hosts
	dns

That lets your /etc/hosts contents override DNS, which is often a good thing.
By default, your /etc/hosts should be pretty much all comments except for
these two lines:

    [grep -v '^#' /etc/hosts]
	::1			localhost localhost.my.domain
	127.0.0.1		localhost localhost.my.domain