Date:      Sun, 20 Dec 1998 15:48:56 -0500
From:      Drew Baxter <netmonger@genesis.ispace.com>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        "Oleg Ogurok" <oleg@ogurok.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cool, A White Snowy Christmas in Sunnyvale, California 8)

At 12:43 PM 12/20/98 -0800, Amancio Hasty wrote:
>Lets see that 1999 brings ... xDSL here in  Silicon Valley is way too
>high : 416kb/sec SDSL at $170/month.
>
>Cable brings the promise of affordable high speed internet access or so
>TCInet net is saying so I am waiting for them to deploy Cable Internet
>access in Sunnyvale ... I think the rate I was quoted was $45/month 500kb/sec
>upstream and 3 megabits/sec downstream however TCI was not ready to
>deploy a month ago :(

Hmm.. InternetMaine/HarvardNet is doing 69 a month for 256K or something
like that.. if they come here I'd do it.. It's all ADSL though.. their XDSL
services are upwards of 1000/mo for 1.5meg, which is nearing T-1 costs, or
a leased 512K.

Our cable system is Frontiervision out of Colorado (used to be
Cablevision).. Problem is the local ISP (local as in state, not as in city)
got ahold of them and entered http://www.fvpmint.net ..  MINT only has 3
T-1's total for their entire network, maybe 4 now.  I think anyone who
follows that road with them is apt to getting screwed.

On the brighter side, Time Warner Cable of Maine offers Cable internet at
27mb down (potential via their proxies, they're on multi 100mb ATM's, it's
cut off at 10mb/s due to it being dropped to 10-base), and an alleged 8mb
upstream with Toshiba PCX-101 modems and a Toshiba designed system.  THAT
is 45 a month.

Bad side is, only the ADSL providers will actually *maybe* let you run
servers.  The cable providers have something against that, maybe it's due
to the covert movement of illegal software and mpeg layer 3 media.

---
Drew "Droobie" Baxter
Network Admin/Professional Computer Nerd(TM)
OneEX: The OneNetwork Exchange, Bangor Maine USA
http://www.droo.orland.me.us

PGP ID: 409A1F7D