Date:      Sat, 17 Mar 2001 07:41:34 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG, jkh@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: More BETA evilness Re: BETA induced nervousness

Kris Kennaway wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 16, 2001 at 11:00:56PM +0000, Terry Lambert wrote:
>
> >       -METASTABLE
>
> I actually like this one: metastable means "stable, but may
> spontaneously transition to something else at any point without
> warning" which is a pretty good description of what happens during the
> early phases of code freeze :-)
>
> Probably a bit too technical for most users, though :-)

Given the path this discussion has taken, it seem OBVIOUS TO THE MOST
CASUAL OBSERVER the "one true tag" must be "-BIKESHED".

Now, if we could move the discussion back to fixing the actual
problem, instead of just renaming the problem.

a) STABLE users have been told they can keep up to date on STABLE by
   cvsupping RELENG_X (where X is currently 4).

b) This is not true, that only gets them -STABLE when -STABLE is the
   top of the RELENG branch.

c) "BETA" is not really "STABLE".  During the BETA phase, we often
   introduce short-term instability in the process of adding some
   functionality for the next release.  This is a necessary and
   desirable phase of development, and lasts for a short period of
   time.

d) How can we produce a "STABLE" cvsup target that gets only the
   -STABLE bits, i.e. "stalls" during the BETA phase and then begins
   advancing again at RELEASE?

Thank you.